One Room Challenge – Master Bedroom + Closet Makeover (Week 1)

Today is the beginning of one of the most exciting events in blogland, the One Room Challenge. If you’re new to the One Room Challenge, let me fill you in on the details. The One Room Challenge is a bi-annual event that challenges both featured designers and guest participants (that’s me!) to transform a space in only 8 weeks.

Years ago, before Sincerely, Sweetpea even existed, I came across the One Room Challenge reading blogs like Dimples and Tangles and Style Your Senses. I followed their progress, week by week, looking forward to reveal day as if it was Christmas morning. Since then, I’ve wanted to participate, but the timing was always off. Now, we’ve been in our apartment for a few months and I’m ready to start putting my stamp on it and make it feel more like our own. What better way to do that than jump into an 8 week challenge??

During the next 8 weeks, I’ll be tackling a number of projects as I transform our master bedroom and closet from basic, rental chic to a preppy, peaceful retreat. Here’s a look at the before:

One Room Challenge - Master Bedroom + Closet | Today is one of the most exciting days in blogland, the beginning fo the One Room Challenge. Over the next 8 weeks, I'll be transforming our master bedroom and closet from basic, rental chic to a preppy, colorful retreat. Check out the before photos. | sincerelysweetpeablog.com One Room Challenge - Master Bedroom + Closet | Today is one of the most exciting days in blogland, the beginning fo the One Room Challenge. Over the next 8 weeks, I'll be transforming our master bedroom and closet from basic, rental chic to a preppy, colorful retreat. Check out the before photos. | sincerelysweetpeablog.com One Room Challenge - Master Bedroom + Closet | Today is one of the most exciting days in blogland, the beginning fo the One Room Challenge. Over the next 8 weeks, I'll be transforming our master bedroom and closet from basic, rental chic to a preppy, colorful retreat. Check out the before photos. | sincerelysweetpeablog.com One Room Challenge - Master Bedroom + Closet | Today is one of the most exciting days in blogland, the beginning fo the One Room Challenge. Over the next 8 weeks, I'll be transforming our master bedroom and closet from basic, rental chic to a preppy, colorful retreat. Check out the before photos. | sincerelysweetpeablog.com

A special thanks to Linda, for putting together the One Room Challenge and creating a space for bloggers to collaborate, encourage one another, express our creativity, and passion for interior design. And thank you to the One Room Challenge Media Partner, Better Homes and Gardens.

Check back here next Thursday to see my design plan. See what the other bloggers are up to here.

10 Comments

1. susan abrams
    May 7, 2020 / 1:32 am

Good Luck! ๐Ÿ€

• kalynabrams
      Author
      May 8, 2020 / 1:21 am

Thank you!

2. May 7, 2020 / 11:51 am

Your starting room looks very much like mine, except your furniture has better bones! Can’t wait to see your finished product! @details.designs

• kalynabrams
      Author
      May 8, 2020 / 1:22 am

Thank you Jami!

3. May 7, 2020 / 1:21 pm

Iโ€™m so excited to see what you do! Those lamps are ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• kalynabrams
      Author
      May 8, 2020 / 1:20 am

Thank you Rachel! I found the lamps on Facebook Marketplace and just about died when I saw them.

4. May 7, 2020 / 4:08 pm

Hi!! Iโ€™m an ambitious DIYer & aspiring designer and came across your room while scrolling through the contributor rooms. Your bamboo dresser caught my eye because I HAVE PIECES FROM THE SAME SET and Iโ€™m dying to know what you plan on doing with yours. Iโ€™ve wanted to paint my pieces because the Pale yellow is so hard to complement, but Iโ€™m terrified of destroying the vintage integrity.

Whatโ€™s up your sleeve?

• kalynabrams
      Author
      May 8, 2020 / 1:18 am

Hi Ashley, I’m so glad that you said the photo of my bamboo dresser caught you’re attention because I was sure when I posted it that it was unattractive and wouldn’t catch anyones attention lol. I totally get what you’re saying about the pale yellow, such an odd color which is why I have plans to paint it. With all of the bamboo detail and nooks and crannies that creates, I am going to spray it versus tackling it with a brush. I just think that will result in the smoothest finish. I wouldn’t worry about damaging the vintage integrity of the piece, I would say most of these pieces that are still around are painted and you just got to do what you love. I hope that helps!

5. May 8, 2020 / 5:45 pm

Good luck and I am excited to see your plans for the space. This is my first time participating in the ORC and am excited for it.

• kalynabrams
      Author
      May 14, 2020 / 3:51 pm

Thank you Sonya! Nice to meet another first timer, looking forward to following you as we tackle our spaces!