Happy November! I hope everyone had a great Halloween weekend! This is the first Halloween that Stewart and I have gotten to go out together, so we took full advantage and came up with an awesome couple costume. One of our favorite shows is Parks and Recreation (rest in peace), so it only felt right that we dressed up as Bert Macklin and Janet Snakehole.
Part of the fun of Halloween, to me at least, is homemade costumes. Paying $50 for a junky costume at one of those Halloween pop-up stores that I will wear just one time makes my stomach churn and let’s not forget we are ballin’ on a budget here people! Most of what I needed to be Janet, I already had except for the black sequin fascinator and the long cigarette. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to buy a fascinator without spending over $20 and finding one that matched hers was going to be nearly impossible. So, I had no choice but to make one.
What You’ll Need:
Black Sequin Trim
Black Deco Mesh
Black Posterboard (I used fluorescent green b/c it’s all I had)
What To Do:
1. Cut a circle out of a piece of cardboard (mine was the size of a saucer) and cut a piece of felt to cover it.
2. Cut a strip of poster board and wrap it around the cardboard disc.
3. Use hot glue to attach the poster board to the edge of the cardboard disc.
4. Hot glue the felt to the cardboard disc.
5. Hot glue strips of sequin trim to the poster board from top to bottom (I slightly overlapped mine so that you couldn’t tell they were strips).
6. Cut out a piece of deco mesh (this took a little bit of trying on to see exactly how it looked).
7. Hot glue the deco mesh to the inside of the hat.
8. Hot glue hat to the headband (I put the headband on and positioned the hat and marked the edges of the hat onto the headband).
9. Your done!
So there ya have it! To be honest, I was so proud to wear this little fascinator, it was definitely the highlight of my costume. Now, it serves as an accessory for this bust on hubby’s night stand. I don’t think he’s even noticed it.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great Tuesday!